Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Del Potro Easing Back into Tennis at Queen's Club

(June 12, 2013)--Ravhi Ubha of the New York Times writes that Juan Martin del Potro considered pulling out of this week's Aegon Championships, but after feeling better last week he decided to make the trip.

Photo: Clive Brunskill
According to Ubha, the 2009 U.S. Open champion said he was close to pulling out of Queens, saying that he only started to feel better recently, and that he decided to come to London because he missed the game, and the tour's camaraderie.

“Last year I played really well, sometimes better than in 2009, and I started this season really well," Del Potro told reporters. "Now other bad things have come to me. I need to be strong to manage these bad things and to keep trying and working, and be positive all the time.”

Del Potro, who skipped the Portugal Open and the Mutua Madrid Open due to the lingering effects of a virus, has only played two matches since mid-April. Though he's 19-7 for the year, and 2-2 against the top ten, including wins over Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray, Del Potro has lost nearly all the momentum he built up over the course of his thrilling run to the Indian Wells final, where he was barely edged out by Rafael Nadal.

He did fly back to Europe to play Rome (he lost in the round of 16 to Benoit Paire) but he then pulled out of the French Open due to the same virus.

Del Potro will face British qualifier Daniel Evans in the round of 16, and could face either Sam Querrey or Lleyton Hewitt in the quarterfinals.

He's also entered in the doubles draw with Marin Cilic. The pair have already reached the second round, taking out Pablo Andujar and Feliciano Lopez of Spain in straight sets.