Friday, June 21, 2013

Simona Halep is on Fire Heading into Wimbledon

(June 21, 2013) -- Besides Serena Williams, who is rolling into Wimbledon with a 31-match winning streak, a lesser known Romanian might be the hottest thing in women's tennis right now.

21-year-old Simona Halep has won nine straight matches, and apparently it doesn't matter what surface she is playing on. Halep won the Nuremberg event on clay last week and this week she's into the final of s'Hertogenbosch, where she will face Kirsten Flipkens for the title.

"I played a lot of good matches with good players in Rome, and after that tournament I felt more and more confident," Halep said. "I've been feeling very good about everything, not just mentally, but also physically. I've been believing in my game a lot and playing more aggressively, and that's all.

"It's not easy even just to play on grass after playing so many matches on clay, So for me to be in the final this week, I'm really happy about it. I'm feeling good and playing well too."

Halep has won five matches against the top 20 since May 13. She'll face Olga Govortsova in the first round at Wimbledon, and could face Li Na in the second round if she advances.

Halep was 1-5 on grass entering this week's event in the Netherlands, with only one career win at Wimbledon. Could she be this year's Wimbledon dark horse?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your two cents here!