Wednesday, July 24, 2013

16-year-old Borna Coric Impresses in ATP Debut

(July 24, 2013)--16-year-old Borna Coric played his first ATP-level match this week at the Vegeta Croatia Open in Umag, and he nearly pulled a massive upset on World No. 58 Horacio Zeballos in the first round on Tuesday. Coric led 7-6, 3-0 with points to go up 4-0 in the second set, but Zeballos rebounded to emerge victorious, 6-7(5), 6-4, 6-0.

"Against such a player you have to convert opportunities you have or you will lose the match," Coric told the tournament's website. "I had two chances in the second set and if I had those converted match would be over. But what I experienced and what I am happy about is that I was able to find out how big is the tennis difference between top 50 player and me at this moment. It is rather small. This was big experience for me and this is exactly what Goran Ivanisevic told me after the match."

Coric is ranked No. 6 in the world in juniors, and he reached at least the quarterfinals of all three Grand Slams this year, including semifinal appearances in Melbourne and Roland Garros.

Here's what he told his fans on facebook about the experience:
"Wow, crazy couple of days! I was given a wildcard into the ATP Vegeta Croatia Open in Umag. On Monday I played doubles with Nikola Mektic against Andreas Seppi and Viktor Troicki and lost (7-6, 6-1). Then yesterday evening I played against the world no.58 Horacio Zeballos from Argentina, I lost (6-7, 6-4, 6-0) but it was a great experience to play against him and do all the press and media work that comes with it. Thanks to everyone for the huge support at the tournament."

Coric may have come up empty in his first ATP experience, but based on the photos he's posted on his facebook page, strength is not going to be a problem for the Zagreb native. The kid, simply put, is ripped.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your two cents here!