Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Del Potro Was "Really Close" to Retiring Against Ferrer



(July 3, 2013)--Juan Martin del Potro had a huge scare when he hyperextended his right knee during the first game of his 6-2, 6-4, 7-6(5) victory over David Ferrer on Wednesday, but some "magic pills" from Wimbledon's physicians helped Del Potro grin and bear the pain and become only the third player from Argentina to reach the Wimbledon semifinals.

"It was a horrible moment," said Del Potro, in a post-match interview with Bill Macatee and Jim Courier of the Tennis Channel. "The match had just started. It was the same as four days ago, I hyperextended my knee once again. I was scared because the doctor told me 'we can't do anything else--just the tape, took some anti-imflammatories and see you serve, see your next movements and see how you feel.' "

"What a scare that must have been, what a shock to the system," said Courier. "Right away in the opening game of the match. For him to stay there, stay in it, not get distraught--which could have been easy for him to do--was really remarkable."

Del Potro originally injured the knee during his third-round victory over Grega Zemlja. Despite the taped-up knee and the bad luck, the big man has yet to lose a set at Wimbledon. He has reached the semifinals at a Grand Slam for the first time since he won the U.S. Open in September of 2009.

"The doctor gave me some magic pills," Del Potro told the BBC with a chuckle after the match. "In the end I play my best forehand ever in this Wimbledon," said Del Potro. "I was lucky that it was in and I win the match."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your two cents here!