Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Jerzy Janowicz and Lukasz Kubot Exhange Shirts After Wimbledon Battle



The first all-Polish meeting in the men's singles at a Grand Slam resulted in one of the longest man hugs in Wimbledon history (followed by a good old-fashioned, soccer-style shirt exchange) after Jerzy Janowicz took out his compatriot Lukaz Kubot, 7-5, 6-4, 6-4 to reach the semifinals of a Grand Slam for the first time. (See video above)

"I think that was really, really cool," Janowicz said afterwards. "As I said, I know Lukasz pretty well. He's my Davis Cup mate, so we know really good. He's my good friend. So I think this was nice from both of us."

As strange as it seems, the match was the first meeting between two players from the same country in the Wimbledon quarterfinals in 13 years. Pete Sampras and Jan-Michael Gambill met in the Wimbledon quarterfinals in 2000, and while we don't have footage of Sampras' 6-4, 6-7(4), 6-4, 6-4 victory over Gambill, we doubt that it was as spirited as what took place between the two Poles.

"It was everything happen so fast," Kubot told reporters afterwards. "I saw his emotions. He went on the ground. I just want to came up, and, you know, congratulate him as fast as possible because I knew it was anyway big moment for both of us. I think he deserve for sure to win today. And it came, you know, just very quick. I said, Let's go. Let's exchange. Let's make our tennis more famous, more popular, and show that Poland tennis is in the map of tennis. Because this never happen before, and that's it.

Not only was the victory a great moment for the 22-year-old Janowicz, it was a great moment for Polish tennis, and one no doubt that the people have been cherishing all day and night.

Janowicz is the first Polish male to ever reach the semifinals of a Grand Slam. He will meet Andy Murray in Friday's semifinals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your two cents here!