Sunday, June 26, 2011

Grass Seeds: Sixteen Sweet Quotes from Wimbledon's Week 1

Nobody was bitten by a kangaroo in the first week at Wimbledon, but there were still some memorable quotes.
===

"I think it's about time she stopped with that nonsense. Makes me want to throw up. It's disgusting. Yeah, it's disgusting.” -- ANDY MURRAY, when probed about his mom’s growing obsession with Spaniard Feliciano Lopez.

“There's been a couple times in the last few months where I've snapped.” -- RYAN HARRISON, when asked about his emotions during matches.

“Well, I think you made your own observations already. I think go ahead and write what you feel is the truth and what's right.” -- A straight-shooting VENUS WILLIAMS, when asked about how she and her sister could be scheduled to play on less visible side courts at Wimbledon.

“Regardless of how I play, I know I'll be competing this time.” -- VENUS WILLIAMS, on her upcoming 4th round match with Tsvetana Pironkova.

“If anyone wants to talk to my dad about that, that's fine with me.” -- 17-year-old LAURA ROBSON, on her dad keeping her prize money for a second year in a row.

“I probably played like shit in third rounds and won before, too. The thing you guys have to understand is there's no script. Some days you're going to play well and lose, and some days you're going to play like crap and win.” -- A disappointed ANDY RODDICK, after his 3rd round loss to Feliciano Lopez.

“I think I just had a black day.” -- ANDREA PETKOVIC, after losing in the 3rd round to Ksenia Pervak of Russia.

“I think in New York there's so many sports. They love their beer. I'm sure they love their beer here, and Pimm's, as well. But I think the U.S. people take more advantage of it.” -- MARIA SHARAPOVA, comparing the crowds in New York and London.

“I have to like it. It's kind of funny. I mean, it's okay.” -- FELICIANO LOPEZ, on Judy Murray’s nickname for him (Deliciano).

“You've seen my tweets. It's my best friend now in London, the little squirrel. She's getting closer and closer each day. I'm trying to feed her from my hand. Maybe one day.” -- NOVAK DJOKOVIC, on the squirell he has befriended near his Wimbledon Town House.

I don't know where he going. So after I find him, I will tell you (laughter). -- LI NA, when asked why her husband left during the 2nd set of her match vs. Sabine Lisicki.

"They became so, so loud. That was the moment where I was like, Okay, I don't want to get off that court yet." -- SABINE LISICKI, on how the Centre Court crowd helped her fight off two match points against Li Na.

“My socks." -- JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO, on what he wore on his feet on his way to the locker room after he threw his shoe into the crowd.

“In the U.S. we go big or we go home. You know, I can appreciate that. I love playing in the U.S.” -- BETHANIE MATTEK SANDS, on the differences between Wimbledon and the U.S. Open.

“I don't think I am suitable for that costume.” -- MISAKI DOI, when asked if she would ever cosider dressing like Bethanie Mattek Sands did before their 1st round match.

“Of course.” -- KIMIKO DATE KRUMM, when asked if she was tired during her 2nd round match with Venus Williams.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your two cents here!